Thursday 20 June 2013

Experiments with Distress Paints Part 2

Hello, back again as promised with a different technique with the scrummy new Distress Paints from Ranger.

Here's what I used on each sample ......

 
.....Distress Paints in Bundled Sage, Victorian Velvet, Antique Linen, Weathered Wood & Broken China, Treasure Gold in White Fire and a credit card style hotel room key.
 
I have just started (another) journal, this time a smaller A5 size so I can take it on holiday - no immediate plans but a girl can dream can't she! It has thinner paper than either of my current A4 journals so I was a bit worried about paint seeping through from one page to the next so I thought I'd try scraping the paint onto the page really thinly (with the hotel room card of course) to avoid this and two things happened.....
 
 
Firstly, the paint dried almost instantly and one of the features of DP is that once it's dry it is permanent, and secondly, the paint was so transluscent you could clearly see all the colours I used in the layers underneath. Oh my I liked that and found it was true on the texture paste bits through a Prima stencil too..
 
 
...and here's the finished journal pages
 
 
...with stamps from JOFY's Spring Collection from PaperArtsy stamped in Tsukineko's Versafine in Onyx Black and some detail picked out with an Inkessential's White Pen.
 
It set me thinking about what would happen if I added the paint slightly more thickly...
 
 
.....still transluscent but slightly less so.
 
 
I finished with texture paste again through a stencil from Prima, stamped with a fabulous image from Chocolate Baroque's new Punky Flowers plate and WOW's Platinum Detail Embossing Powder with a touch of Treasure Gold. Nice effect.
 
Finally my 'what if's' led me to applying the paint more thickly still but then it didn't dry so quickly and....
 
 
...I loved this effect.
 
Still some transparent bits showing off the layers below, but solidly opaque in other areas with the wetter layers scraped back off in parts so texture colour and layers. Heaven. I finished off with the same stamp, stencil etc as the earlier experiment and turned it into a really clean & simple card.
 
So, I learned Distress Paints .......
 
don't have to be grungy - you can keep all the layers pastel,
don't have to be opaque - you can scrape it on thinly and have transluscent layers,
don't have to be used with water - not a drop used here,
don't have to be applied with a brush - just add the paint directly to an old plastic card,
don't have to be dried between layers - semi dry doesn't mix to create mud and does give texture! 
 
That's all for now, be back Saturday with Part 3 of my Distress Paint Experiments - so many products to play with research, so little time.
 
Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed xx 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I am loving your experiments! The journal page looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Helen, I've been having a blast with these paints. Just caught up with your fantastic news, lets you relax and enjoy your break now xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your journal looks amazing Val, love it! My hubby stayed at a hotel last night and guess what? I now have a credit card style room key!! Yippee!! Will have to get practising now.

    Hugs
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in time for a weekend of crafting then lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful experiment results!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I was just having fun - great when you can do that isn't it lol!

    ReplyDelete